Core Business Skills Curriculum
Most law firms and law departments already have excellent lawyers; but successful organizations need well-developed business and leadership skills.
Your colleagues deserve more than classroom training.
There are hundreds of vendors offering training in many of these areas. However, in our experience and that of our clients, these courses and training sessions almost always produce disappointing results.
This is what some of our clients have told us about their experiences.
- Generic programs frequently do not incorporate or address the fact that law firms are different from other businesses in aspects that can be very important -- sometimes decisive -- in the achieving business results in today's highly competitive legal market. Likewise, the practice of law in a corporate law department has special challenges and fundamental characteristics that make many "company wide" training programs irrelevant to the daily professional life of in-house lawyers.
- Most generic training programs overlook the special characteristics of legal practice. Moreover, the cultural and organizational factors that contribute to the long-term success can vary significantly among different practice areas and, to some extent, among different client sectors.
- Most ‘how to” programs do not extend beyond a standard seminar or training session. Lack of meaningful application to the firm's unique business or the law department's unique professional mission, as well as a lack of ongoing support, are the two objections that Walker Clark, LLC, hears most frequently from clients who have hired outside vendors providing generic "workshops" or "seminars."
- Most workshops and seminars do not address the special challenges of practicing law in multi-cultural, multi-national organizations and markets. The challenge is especially difficulty for large, multinational companies and law firms. How can we ensure consistency in professional quality and client service wherever we practice, but at the same time address regional and local nuances that are often critical to competitive advantage?
the Walker Clark difference
Walker Clark is a recognized intenational lleader in business skills development for the legal profession. We provide tools, methods, skills, and ongoing support that will enable lawyers and legal managers to move their individual practices and the business forward.
We do not produce traditional workshops. When we hold group sessions, they are focused business meetings to apply knowledge, skills, and methods to real-life issues in the business and the practice of its lawyers.
However, Walker Clark goes three steps beyond traditional training.
- We provide individual skills coaching and support, in scheduled one-on-one sessions with each participant, when appropriate, with small groups.
- We advise and assist each participant to apply the core business skills to actual problems in his or her own practice. through our unique "real-world" case studies methodology and practical applications.
- We help the individual and the firm or department to identify and track reliable measurements to assess progress and calculate return on investment.
Click on one of the links at the right to learn more about or 12 Core Business Skills development programs and our current offering of 9 Walker Clark Business Skills Webinars.
To discuss how one of our Core Business Skills programs can give you and your colleagues the tools that you need to move to new levels of performance, contact us by e-mail or by telephone at +1.941.322.7077.